In what seems to be happening far too often, a Victorian man has tragically passed away after yesterday’s Defqon Festival in Sydney. The Sydney Morning Herald reports a suspected drug overdose from the 23 year-old just before midday, where he was taken to an on-site medical tent. The Herald reports that his condition deteriorated and he suffered multiple cardiac arrests, which unfortunately led to his death at Sydney’s Nepean Hospital last night.
The festival promoters stated that “Q‐dance maintains a zero tolerance drug policy. There will be a strong police presence at the event”, but with seven stages built for the world’s best in hard trance, hardstyle, psy-trance, techno and hard dance, it comes as little surprise that there were 87 people arrested at the festival for drug-related offences and 14 hospitalised after also suffering overdoses.
It’s the first time that the Dutch festival has allowed camping at the event, with Q-dance continuing to strongly urge the 18,000 attendees to have a safe Defqon.1 experience. Terrible news.